Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ekaabo

I started my journey at about 4am with a really nice guy from Algeria diving me to the train station in Morges Switzerland after a brief visit with my family. I flew through Frankfurt and when I sat down at the terminal I was welcomed by the irrepressible eau naturel of Nigerian body odour. If you know Nigerians you'll know what I'm talking about. It was a kinda of nice way of getting welcomed back, although the unwhitting German lady who sat down next to my friend emmitting these wafting scents displayed on her face that she was nowhere nearly as pleased by it as I was. In fact she got up and moved!

When I got into Lagos, after sitting next to one lady who barked orders at the flight attendant and refused to check the 4 bags she had bought at duty-free in the airport, I was surprised to find that my Nigerian phone was no longer working. Taht meant I couldn't flash (what Nigerians call calling someone quickly and then hanging up so you don't have to get charged for actually calling that person) my Uncle Seun to let him know that I had arrived. Fortunately for me, after I got my bags, I met a fellow Arsenal fan who lent my his phone, so it all worked out.

On the way back I had a great chat with my Uncle about ManU's demise in the Champion's League, how everything is in the US, poliotics, the deplorable state of the roads in Nigeria since we were stuck in "Go-Slow" or the ever-present traffic jams. During the trip back to my uncle's apartment, we gave Damini the nickname "Fulani man" because he likes to travel from place to place and is never in one country for too long and Fulanis are nomadic cattle herders who roam the area on the southern border of the Sahara Desert. The nickname has stuck so Damini, get ready to answer to that one...

Since you can buy almost anything on the highways in Lagos, my Uncle was kind enough to buy a new SIM card for me and some credit for my pay-as you go phone, but we got another not-so-pleasant welcome to Nigeria surprise; The 1,500 Naira (about $10US which is a considerable anmount of money) credit code we bought from the small boy on the side of the road was stolen and thus didn't work when we put it in. So many scammers...

Well that's it for now, I'll write some more later since I'm almost out of credit at the internet cafe
~Deji

No comments:

Post a Comment