Thursday, June 4, 2009

My latest adventure, besides struggling with the intense humidity here, was travelluing through more go-slow with Uncle D, Uncle Seun's driver, to visit Aunty-the-Great-One, or my Great Aunt who also lives in Lagos. First we droped off Aunty Bimbo (Uncle Seun's EXTREMELY business savy wife) at her shop where she sells clothes, and then we slowly made out way through the absurdly overcrowded Lagos streets to Aunty-the-Great-One's house.

On the way I talked with Uncle D about what makes a good footballer(soccer player) how we love Ronalsinho and Jay-Jay Okocha, arguably the best soccer player to ever come out of Nigeria. When we arrived Aunty sat me down and joked with me about how Damini is always travelling, and updated me on how Lagos State finally has an honest Governor, Fasola, who actually gets things done anddoesn't just "chop" (steal money). She also informed me that the Niogerian power company formerly called NEPA that only provisdes power about 3 hours in the day, is now called PHNC or as she likes to call it, "Please Hold Candle Now." I heard all kinds of stories about how education should work, how Aunty has recently put a bunch of young "idiots" who wanted to tear down the gate on her garden in their place once and for all, and for about an hour how ridiculous all of the religious violence in Nigeria and the world at large is, esecially in regards to Christian-Muslim tensions. After a brief photoshoot, and giving Aunty the scarf Damini got for her in Turkey (which she adored) it was back through go-slow to the house.

When we got back, I told Uncle D I would do some football tricks with him and I played a bit with Suleyman, the doorman at my uncle's house. Suleyman is Hausa, fomr the north of the country, and doesn't speak much english or yoruba, so I tried speaking Arabic to him, only to find out that he is more comfortable in French! So Madame Kennedy, no matter where I go, the French you taught me always serves me well! Suleyman and Uncle D loved my tricks, andSuleyman started calling me "magnet" because the ball was stuck to my feet when he tried to take it from me. We also went out to play with another Hausa guy Suleyman knows name Ibrahim across the street, who, as it happens, also speaks french but no English. After all the exitement of the day, I'm heading back home to eat some more really spicy food that has cleared up the remnants of the allergies I brough with me. It's been soo long since I've had real pepa! Make I go chop-o!! And maybe watch some cheesy Nigerian movies on Africa magic today too!

1 comment:

  1. BROTHER DEJ!!!!!!!!!!!

    I miss you bro...were you able to get in touch with Olupona?

    ReplyDelete